Iranian Art Museum Garden
The Iranian Art Museum Garden is an art museum located in the Elahieh district of Tehran. The gardens have an area of less than one hectare. The main attraction of the museum gardens is about a dozen scaled-down replicas of well-known historical Iranian buildings dating to the early Pahlavi dynasty.
The main building was built in 1931 and belonged to Ahmad Amir Ahmadi, the lieutenant general of Reza Shah, and then to his wife, Turan Mohajer Eslami. Its repair was started in 2005 with green space and landscaping, and it was opened as a museum that year.
During the Pahlavi dynasty’s reign in the 1960s, for the festival named “the 2500th anniversary of the Persian Empire”, models of some of the most famous historical Iranian buildings were ordered from Italian artisans. The models were constructed of concrete, with resin and polyester used to decorate their windows. Oil paints were used for painting the models of the Hasht Behesht, Chehel Sotoon, and Shams-ol-Emareh buildings.
These models of Iranian historical monuments further include Hasht Behesht, Chehel Sotoon, Gonbad-e Ghabus, Shams-ol-Emareh, thirty-three Bridges of Isfahan, Mahyar Caravansary, Fin garden of Kashan, Azadi tower, Milad tower, Tomb of Danial, Soltanieh Dome, and St. Thaddeus Monastery.
The museum garden has included a painting exhibit, a movies department, an art workshop, a cultural products store, and an exhibit of Iranian sculptors’ works.
Some of these models in the garden were repaired by experts from the Iranian Cultural Heritage Organization in 2006.